So…Care2, the ASPCA and Adopt-a-Pet are sponsoring the America’s Favorite Shelter Contest. Maybe you’re thinking, “So what?” Let’s face it; we receive requests often to vote for one thing or another – show our support for one side of a debate, current event, even political candidate; cast our ballot for the funniest, cutest, strangest pet; add our vote in petitions and pledges. And we wonder as we do if it will make any difference.
This is an occasion where you truly can make a difference, and witness the results. By voting for your favorite organization, you increase the chance that it can win one of many prizes – all monetary, which is the greatest need of those that rescue pets. Even the least winnings would be welcomed enthusiastically.
Animal organizations all over have a few things in common, in addition to the animals they tend to.
- The workload is heavy, thankless (and yet so very rewarding)
- continually in dire need of volunteers
- there are far more pets in need of a home than homes found
- the expenses required not only vary and are unpredictable, but-
- there’s always a shortage of donations, the backbone of many groups
- funding through all sources more scarce in the current economy.